Using its novel biotechnology platform, MiAlgae recycles the co-products from the Scotch whisky industry as a feedstock to grow omega-3 rich microalgae that can be used as a fish feed and pet food ingredient.
- The Edinburgh-based Biotech company, MiAlgae, has officially launched its omega-3 product NaturAlgae, which is targeted at the fish feed and pet food sectors. With a substantial amount of DHA and other oils, this is a dry powder that can be added to aquafeed recipes to deliver the well-known advantages of omega-3.
- The firm grows eco-friendly omega-3 by recycling pot ale from the whisky distillation process with standard algal fermentation which is otherwise difficult to dispose off. This readymade, human grade growth media enables the company to keep costs down.
- Schizochytrium is a typical algal species utilized in this procedure of producing omega 3.
Know more from Feed Navigator.
Many businesses are creating and manufacturing fuel, food, feed, chemicals, cosmetics, and other commercial items from algae. Among the leading businesses in this sector are:
- ACCEL Carrageenan Corporation is a Philippine-based business that specializes in making carrageenan, a polysaccharide that is taken out of red algae and used in food, medicine, cosmetics, and biotechnology.
- Cargill, Incorporated is a global company that deals in food, agricultural, and industrial goods and services. It also delivers algal protein and flour for meals and beverages, along with algal omega-3 oils for animal feed and fisheries.
- BASF SE is a German chemical company that manufactures algal beta-carotene, a natural colorant and antioxidant, for the food, beverage, and dietary supplement industries. BASF operates in several segments, including chemicals, materials, industrial solutions, surface technologies, nutrition and care, and agricultural solutions.
- Koninklijke DSM N.V. is a Dutch multinational corporation with a focus on materials, nutrition, and health. It makes algal omega-3 oils for human and animal nutrition and health as well as algal astaxanthin, a natural pigment and antioxidant.
From 2024 to 2030, the worldwide omega 3 market is projected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.9%. In 2023, the market was valued at USD 2.62 billion. Know more on market trends here.
As customers search for different options to conventional fish oil, the industry is seeing a constant diversification of its product offerings.